Meatless Monday is here again. Last week Clay said he was about "souped out." This means spring is coming, and soup season is coming to a close. So tonight I tried a new recipe. I enjoy blackbean burgers when I go out, but this was super easy. It will become a staple for me.
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper
1 celery stalk
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 to 1 cup bread crumbs
1. In a skillet saute the onion, carrot, bell pepper, and celery with a bit of olive oil.
2. Once they have been cooked down add them to a food processor with the black beans. Also add the egg, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pulse the food processor until the mixture is ground evenly.
3. Remove the mixture from the food processor. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. It will take anywhere from 1/2 cup to a cup of breadcrumbs.
4. Place the mixture in the fridge for about 30 (or overnight) to let it thicken a bit. Then, form into four patties.
5. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side. If skillet cooking, about 8 minutes on each side, on medium heat.
Add to bun with all of the burger "fixins" you can find. Enjoy!