Well, a new year is approaching quickly. This traditional meal is also a cost-savings meal. I hope everyone has a safe and happy start to 2010, and follows it up with a little luck for the new year. I will blog again to finish out my week of meals in 2010! Enjoy!
- 1 bag of black-eyed peas (follow directions to prepare) ($1.00)
- 1 lb. sausage, sliced ($3.98)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 lg. onion, chopped (purchased for previous meal)
- 1 (14 oz.) can whole tomatoes ($.88)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place black-eyed peas in large stew pan to simmer.
Fry sausage in oil until well browned.
Drain all but 2 tablespoons of oil from skillet. Saute onion in remaining oil.
Add onions with oil and remaining ingredients to peas. Simmer for 30 minutes over a low heat.
Serve with corn bread (2 for $.88)
TOTAL for a New Year's Tradition: $6.74