Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Healthy Snacks During and After School

For those who don't know, our mom, Jane, is a dental hygienist. Tracie and I grew up in a very sugar sheltered world. I was probably seven before I tried Lucky Charms. As deprived as I thought I was then, I can't believe that stuff is still on the shelves now. My girls are growing up in the same kind of household 25 years later. Mom gave me this list of healthy kids snacks over Christmas, and I have now uncovered it on day 3 of being off for snow. So, here it is. . .there are some great ideas!

  • Fruit kabobs; melons, grapes, and berries
  • Slivers of carrots of celery with hummus
  • Whole grain bagel with peanut butter
  • Soft, whole wheat taco shell with melted low-fat cheese
  • Mozzarella string cheese with whole grain crackers
  • Smoothies made with low-fat yogurt and frozen berries
  • Trail mix made with popcorn and nuts
  • Salsa and chips
  • Mini pizzas made on whole wheat English muffin
  • Turkey roll ups
  • Whole grain cereal with fresh fruit
  • Slice banana with peanut butte and cereal sprinkles

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I had Honeycombs at a friend's house. I thought it was going to be the best thing ever, but they were crazy sweet!!

    ReplyDelete