Monday, December 28, 2009

Week After Christmas Goal- $10.00 Meals

The week after Christmas is always a great time for teachers- we get one more week off. I find that projects and cooking are attempted that I normally would not have the time for during a busy work week. Once I start back to work, I don't experiment with recipes as much. Last year at this time my goal was to stock the freezer. This year, I am going to try to do a week of recipes all for $10.00 or less each. I was successful with the first two- which I will post tonight. I went shopping today and purchased everything I needed for the seven meals and a few things for the house- for $66.00. A few of the things I already had, but wrote down the prices as I went to share when the time comes I can tell you how much they would cost. I did not use coupons, but I did buy primarily store brand. If there was a huge price discrepancy in items, I would buy the middle. I shopped at Kroger, but I bet most stores would be comparable. Needless to say, I was quite pleased with myself. :)

So, here is the week's worth of menus- for less than $70.00 (average $10.00 a meal)

  • Poppy Seed Chicken with sides of steamed rice and broccoli
  • Vegetable Beef Stew with Crackers
  • Ham and Cheese Quiche with Cinnamon applesauce
  • Crockpot chicken with onions and potatoes with green beans
  • Middle Eastern White Beans served over white rice with Bread
  • Tacos with Refried Beans
  • Black-eyed peas with corn bread and Sausage (Happy New Year's Food!)

I will post the prices for each of the recipes I make this week- and we will see how I d0- let the challenge begin.

Note: I did not include the prices of milk, butter, or spices since I typically have them all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment