Sunday, January 3, 2010

Middle Eastern White Beans- $10.00 Meal

So, this is the last of the $10.00 meals for the week. I will be trying to do more, but I have to recover from all of the new recipes in one week. Overall, I feel it was successful- I will try to post the shopping list for the seven meals this week, too. It came in under $70.00 for sure. I did have to laugh tonight because Hannah came up and asked me for her favorite meal for tomorrow. I said, "Well, what is it?" "Hamburger Helper," she replied. "Okay, I can do that!"

This was a recipe I found on www.allrecipes.com. When I read the ingredients I knew this was one my family would enjoy. When I looked at the directions, I knew this was one I could handle. This is a Middle Eastern bean recipe that would be a standard meal in a home. Clay and the girls enjoyed it, and it was very filling. Also, when I came home from school- it smelled heavenly!



1 1/2 cups dried white kidney beans, soaked overnight ($1.39)
3 tablespoons tomato paste ($.55)

1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth ($.55) can be vegetarian alternative
3 medium onions, chopped ($1.99)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste



Directions
In a slow cooker combine the beans, tomato paste, pimento sauce, garlic, onions, cumin, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix until the beans are coated. Pour in beef broth, and top off with enough water to completely cover the beans.
Cover, and cook on High for 6 hours, or until the beans are tender and the liquid is thickened. It should not be soupy.



Serve over rice ($2.00) and with bread ($1.89)



TOTAL: $8.37

No comments:

Post a Comment