Meatless Mondays! I love the alliteration- and the challenge it brings. I am currently reading Food Matters, by Bittman. One of the challenges set forth is to reduce your footprint in what you consume. One way to do that is to eat less meat, especially red meat. So, our first goal will be to have "Meatless Mondays". This recipe is one that the family enjoyed tonight and we will do again.
1 can of garbanzo beans (or chickpeas), drained ($1.29)
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes ($1.00)
1 32 oz. box of broth (beef or veggie) ($1.96)
1 cup of small pasta ($1.00)
1 onion diced ($1.97 for 3 lbs)
2 tablespoons of garlic
1 teaspoon of basil
1 teaspoon of thyme
1. Sauté onion and garlic in a skillet.
2. In crockpot dump can of garbanzo beans (drained), tomatoes, broth, and sauté onion and garlic.
3. Add basil and thyme.
4. Cook on low six to eight hours.
5. 30 minutes before serving pour in pasta and add 2 cups of water. Taste to see if salt is needed.
Serve with bread or crackers
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone