Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Homemade" Spagetti

I am home with a sickly kiddo today, so I have some extra time this morning. It has allowed me to do some cooking for this week and post on the blog. I am beginning to figure out that the weekends are going to be my best time to post for this semester. This is as close to homemade as I get. It is extremely easy, but it adds so much flavor to store-bought sauce. My family also likes meat sauce, which I hate to buy, due to cost. This makes more and it is cheaper. This morning I doubled the sauce recipe and made the Old World Manicotti recipe too. It really took just about 20 extra minutes of time since the sauce that I used is the same. I put four meals in the freezer (2 manicotti- 7 shells in each container, and two spaghetti with sauce).

Supplies:
2 aluminum pans (I like roaster pans for spaghetti)

Ingredients:
1 bottle of store bought spaghetti sauce (Traditional works well)
1 can of dice tomatoes
1/2 lb of lean ground beef
1 cup of chopped onion
1 tbsp of Garlic
1 tbsp of Italian seasoning (takes all Italian spices and puts them together for you)
1 box of spaghetti (I like using Angel Hair)

1. Brown meat, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning in a large pan. Drain off the grease.
2. Add diced tomatoes, allowing them to cook down a bit.
3. Add bottle of store bought sauce to the mix.
4. Allow to simmer on very low heat at least 30 minutes to fully blend the flavors.
5. Cook spaghetti while sauce is simmering.

Drain the spaghetti and divide into two containers. Top each container with half of the sauce. Serve one, place other in the freezer covered with aluminum foil.

Freezer spaghetti: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, top with Parmesan and cook in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until center is warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment