Friday, January 2, 2009

Mexican Pie

Okay, I have to admit, I am getting tired of cooking every night now, but I said that I would do it, and so I am going to finish out the week. That being said, I have never done this all in one week before. Typically, I try to make one freezer meal a week. That way I have a constant supply in the freezer for choices. I find that a lot less stressful than a different one each day. Tonight I made a Mexican Pie that is pretty easy considering you take the ingredients and layer them. The kids enjoyed it- and I put one in the freezer for later.



Supplies:


2 aluminum pie tins


Ingredients:


1 lb of group beef
1 envelope of taco seasoning
1/2 cup of chopped onion
4 large flour tortillas/ or about six medium ones
1 large can of refried beans
1 cup of sour cream
1 can of corn, drained
1 jar of salsa
2 cups of grated cheese



Brown ground beef and onions. Prepare per directions on taco seasoning. Spray pie pans with cooking spray to prevent sticking. In a bowl mix sour cream and corn together.



Layer the following into each of the pie tins:

  • tortilla (large ones will fill the pie tin)
  • refried beans (1/2 in each tin)
  • corn and sour cream (1/2 in each tin)
  • thin layer of salsa
  • thin layer of cheese
  • tortilla
  • meat/onion mix (1/2 in each tin)
  • thin layer of salsa
  • remainder of the cheese

Fresh Pie: Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Freezer Pie: Cover tightly with aluminum foil, label and date, and place directly in the freezer. When you choose to eat them, thaw in the refrigerator and bake 30-45 minutes, until the center is warm. (I would eat them within two months of freezing them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment