Friday, October 29, 2010

All Day Vegetable Soup

I got a call at work this morning that Hannah was running fever. So after hastily making sub plans, I picked her up at school. I found I had the whole day at home. I decided to make my mom's all day vegetable soup. This is one of the recipes that reminds me of childhood. It is total comfort food. This is the first time I have attempted the soup, because it is one I have been too scared to try myself. I still don't know if it will taste the same, but I am glad to report it is looking the same. When mom gave the me recipe, I learned that she got it from her mom, who learned it from her mom. So it is a four generation soup, from as much as I can gather. This is a soup that you start in the morning and let cook all day. I will tell you- it is worth it!

Ingredients
1 big stew pot
2 lbs of stew meat
1 onion
2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes
5 small cans of tomato sauce
4-5 potatoes, bite-size
1 bag of frozen vegetables
1 cup of uncooked noodles

Directions

1. Fill a stew pot about 3/4 full of water. Put in onion, meat, and lightly salt. Cook uncovered on medium to low 1/2 a day, or until the pot has only 1/3 of the water left.

2. Once meat, onion and water are cooked down, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, potatoes, and frozen vegetables. Cover and simmer 2-3 hours.

3. One hour before serving add 1 to 2 cups of macaroni. Soup will thicken as it simmers.

Serve with warm bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment