Monday, October 4, 2010

Home Made Soup Mix

I love soups in the winter time. I find comfort and ease in cooking and eating them. This recipe I found this summer. I really like it. I really like the idea of the homemade soup mixes because I know what is going in to the mix. If you look at store bought soup mixes, they are filled with sodium and preservatives. This- you mix, you store, you serve. The other reason I like it is because it is ready to go at a moment's notice.

For this recipe you can purchase 1 bag of split peas, 1 bag of barley, 1 bag of lentils, and 1 bag of rice. One bag of ech can be purchased for less than $1.50 each. One bag can make four mixes. You make the mix listed below, and then you have four to pull out as needed.


1/2 cup split green peas
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup raw rice
2 tbsp. parsley
2 tbsp. onion flakes
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
2 tbsp. beef bouillon
1/4 cup noodles

Mix all of the ingredients into a quart size bag. Keep dry until ready to use.

Day of cooking:

Empty contents of bag into a large pot, then add:
3 quarts water
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup shredded cabbage
2 cups of tomatoes

Simmer until vegetables are tender, 30 to 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment