Monday, October 4, 2010

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Comfort food. . . we all have the foods that bring comfort or remind us of childhood. This recipe reminds me of my grandmother, Liz Stauffer. I don't remember her making it often, but the smells (pungent as they are) remind me of her. The girls and I had a good laugh when we came in the door and house smelled of cabbage. They also really enjoyed the meal. I am so impressed with what they will try now. Anyway, here's to comfort food. :)


Ingredients
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces
10 baby red potatoes, quartered
1 onion, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 cups water
1 (4 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet
1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped

Directions
Place the carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker, pour in the water, and place the brisket on top of the vegetables. Pour the beer over the brisket. Sprinkle on the spices from the packet, cover, and set the cooker on low.

Cook the brisket for about 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment