Saturday, April 11, 2009

Hard- Boiled Eggs

Happy Easter everyone! I am trying to figure out my Easter menu for tomorrow. I have a small ham and a turkey breast, I don't know what else I am going to do at this point. But, I do know that we decorated eggs last night. Every year I have to call my mom to remember how to boil eggs. Every year she tells me that she still calls her mom, my Mimi, to remember also. So, with her being out of town this weekend, I turned to my "red-checked" cookbook, or the Betty Crocker cookbook, our family has used for four generations. I couldn't cook without it. So, here is how to do a perfect hard-boiled egg. On a side note, as I typed this I remembered an all important "Stauffer Family Tradition," you have to crack the eggs you eat on your head. Painful, but memorable. I carry on the tradition with my kiddos, too.

1. Place eggs in a single layer in a pan. Add enough water to just cover the eggs. bring to a rapid boil over high heat (water will have large rapidly breaking bubbles). Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes; drain.

2. Run cold water over the eggs or place them in ice water until cool enough to handle; drain.

3. To peal eggs, gently tap each egg on the counter top (or if you are a Stauffer, on your head). Roll the egg between the palms of your hands. Peel off the eggshell, starting at the large end.

No comments:

Post a Comment