Sometimes after a long day of work, comfort food is the best thing. So, tonight we had patty melts. I used my grain-fed beef patties, and I didn't have rye bread, but we made due with wheat. Enjoy!
1 slice American cheese
1 slice Swiss cheese
1/4 lb ground beef
1/4 cup onion, sliced or onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 slices rye bread
1. Saute onions until golden in 2 tablespoons olive oil until translucent and lightly golden.
2. Remove from the pan.
3. Form the meat patty so it will fit the bread.
4. Grill to desired doneness.
5. Butter bread on one side; put buttered side down on hot griddle, put 1 slice cheese followed by onions then cooked patty, followed by cheese.
6. Butter one side of the other slice of bread and place on top buttered side out.
7. Fry until bread is crisp but not burned (I have trouble with this part), turn over and do the same thing on the other side. Cheese should be well melted.